Yeah - we interviewed James Hudnall for my podcast (Comic Relief Podcast) - http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/1375 (starts at 37:50) - 41:58 we start talking Alpha Flight. Around the 43 mark he talks about how Bill was essentially flailing or bored in Alpha and was asking the editor for ideas when Hundall was brought on. Although, I remember wanting to correct him when he said Dream Queen was modeled after Mephisto - and telling him it was Nightmare, since it was (is? Supposedly?) his daughter. Around the 45 mark he starts talking artist... and he'd wanted Mark Bagley (who he worked with previously)... around the 45:45 mark he starts talking about the artist he got (Calimee) and mentions he wasn't "there yet" (but like you seems to think he got much better... and really, we all get better at a craft we continue to keep at, so I don't doubt Calimee is much better these days then what we got in those issues of AF... also probably helps if you're passionate about your work, and it didn't feel like post Byrne, many were passionate when assigned to AF, which is also a problem), but he goes on to explain that unfortunately he and Calimee didn't gel properly. He does admit that he was by far a bigger DC fan than a Marvel fan.